On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 3:57 PM, Mark Eggers <its_toas...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Are you starting and stopping Tomcat under Cygwin? I've seen some interesting
> file locking problems (as well as the "terminate batch job?" question) when
> running Windows applications under Cygwin.
>
> How are you deploying your web application? Are you copying the new war file
> into $CATALINA_HOME/webapps, using the manager application, or deploying via
> an
> IDE?
>
> I'm on Linux at the moment, so I can't explore this. However, here are some
> things you might try.
>
> 1. Run everything under DOS.

I'll give it a try, thought I can't imaging how cygwin would have
locks unless you cd'd into your expanded war or opened files there.

> If you're a UNIX person, then this is not going to be as comfortable as
> running
> Cygwin, but it will remove some unintended consequences. Or as Konstantin
> suggested, run things on Linux.
>
> 2. Use the manager application for deployment.

I removed both ROOT and manager webapps. Only my webapp remains.

> If you are looking at a command line mechanism for deploying applications to
> production, you might take a look at the Ant tasks. Documentation for the Ant
> tasks can be found here:
>
> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/manager-howto.html#Executing_Manager_Commands_With_Ant

I would like it if it worked without the manager webapp, but I'm think
it doesn't.

> 3. Use the IDE in a development environment
>
> Both NetBeans and Eclipse allow you to deploy to a running Tomcat (and start /
> stop Tomcat) from within the IDE. In a development environment I find that
> much
> more convenient than opening a shell and executing commands.

I might try Eclipse, but we have 20 webapps running on 11 tomcat
servers, and one login server must always be running, so it becomes
complicated.

> Some quick notes on your web application (which I don't think will affect its

> 1. Debug is no longer a valid attribute for the Context element.

removed.

> 2. There appear to be some issues with with your Resource element describing
> your JDBC connection.

Yes, maxIdle, maxActive. It looked harmless so I never go around to
fixing it, but I'll do that.

> 3. Some of the connection pool threads issues could be due to a JDBC driver.
> If
> you're using MySQL, make sure you have the latest JDBC driver. Versions before
> 5.1.11 did cause problems.

oracle-9.0.2.0.0.jar over oracle.  There is a home grown connection
pool in front of the tomcat pool. It's been used for 11 years to
prevent connection leaks. I can look at that.