On 21/08/2010 05:42, Yawar Khan wrote:
> chris, i had a look at container managed authentication and its quite handy.
> but
> i couldnt see how i can add extra functionality like calling an encryption
> function on password text field before tomcat does its authentication on it.

The Tomcat Documentation is an excellent resource and is worth the time
you'll spend reading it.  See the 'digest' attribute of the
DataSourceRealm.  (You are using a DataSource, aren't you?)

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/config/realm.html#Standard_Implementation

> for js, my client side authentication is done on form submit button click
> event,
> if the hackers do disable javascripts, how will my html form be submitted?

By pushing the button?

By constructing a URL and posting to it using a non-browser script in an
automated attack client?

> however, i will add some server side validation as well, i agree thats
> important.

Don't bother, just use the container auth.  That way you don't have to
worry about SQL injection attacks, because the SQL isn't poorly cobbled
together using String concatenation.