On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 5:02 PM, Caldarale, Charles R
<chuck.caldar...@unisys.com> wrote:
>> From: Wesley Acheson [mailto:wesley.ache...@gmail.com]
>> Subject: Re: How to spwan child processes.
>>
>> Thats my point I thought new Thread() was something I couldn't
>> do (by JEE specs)
>
> I'm curious - where in any of the Java EE specs did you come across that?

Not in the specs directly, but some info here
http://www.theserverside.com/discussions/thread.tss?thread_id=44353

and here

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=171&context=SSFKSJ&dc=DB520&uid=swg21266535&loc=en_US&cs=UTF-8&lang=en&rss=ct171websphere

"Certain J2EE/JEE applications (for instance those running in EJB and
Web containers) must not spawn new threads; instead all work should be
performed on the main application threads managed by the application
server. When applications use the WebSphere MQ base Java API the
application server may not be able to distinguish between application
code and the WebSphere MQ base Java API code, so the worker and
clean-up threads described above will cause the application to be
non-compliant with the container specification. The WebSphere MQ JMS
API does not break these J2EE/JEE specifications and so should be used
instead."

>> Questions:
>> 1 Should this be delegated to the container?
>
> Is such a capability even hinted at in the servlet spec?  If no, then it's a
> bit difficult to delegate.

The one about delegating to the container came from here
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/212134/how-do-you-launch-multiple-threads-from-within-jee