On 24/08/2010 10:20, pu...@web.de wrote:
>> Tomcat: 6.0.29
>> OS: Mac OS
>> Java: 1.5
>>

>> I wrote an own java.util.logging.Handler to get the logs over the network.
>> The handler
is configured via "myWebapp/WEB-INF/classes/logging.properties" and is working
very well.
The handler uses some threads to do his job. I used the close()-Method to
interrupt them.
But when shutting tomcat down or doing an undeploy I always get messages like
this:

>> -------
>> 23.08.2010 23:43:14 org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader
>> clearReferencesThreadsSEVERE:
The web application [/testWebapp] appears to have started a thread named
[Thread-2] but has
failed to stop it. This is very likely to create a memory leak.
>> 23.08.2010 23:43:14 org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader
>> clearReferencesThreadsSEVERE:
The web application [/testWebapp] appears to have started a thread named
[Thread-2] but has
failed to stop it. This is very likely to create a memory leak.
>> -------
>>
>> Theses threads were started by the handler and can not be stopped by tomcat.
>> Interestingly
the cose()-Methode of my handler - where the handler would kill these threads -
gets called
after theses messages...

>> I don't really know how to understand these messages? Why are theses
>> messages produced
before calling the close() Method of the handler?

>It is to do with the order in which the context is shut down. The check
>for threads is made before the logging system is shut down.

>Mark

Thanks Mark. Do you have any idea how "to do better"?

I plan to offer the handler as part of a logging framework, but these
SEVERE-Messages are not that nice and could let the useres think anything goes
wrong...

Daniel