AFAIK, the said threshold determines when a file is too big to be hold
in memory and should be written to disk.  So, I think that "Permission
denied" actually comes from your file system.  You have to read the
docs (or the source code), but I guess that it tries to write to
${catalina.base}/temp (aka $CATALINA_TMPDIR, aka java.io.tmpdir ).

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko