Thanks to all who have responded. The advice and comments have been very helpful.

For my application, the MIM vulnerability is a concern, so I expect to be using HTTPS for at least some of the traffic. Next steps are to clarify my confidentiality requirements and see what I can find on the performance implications of using HTTPS, i.e. is it cheap enough that I don't have to worry about using it for all traffic.

Brian