On 07/09/2010 03:34, jan gestre wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I've Googled a lot with respect to the subject, and I wanted to
> solicit your advice, basically I want to run Tomcat on port 80, some
> already objected to the idea of proxying it via Apache, so I'm looking
> at using jsvc or pound instead. I'm using the latest 6.0.29 binary
> distribution, and I don't have an idea where to download jsvc, if it's
> already included I don't know the location, could someone please
> enlighten me on how to do this.

Your options are, (in no particular order):

 1. A proxy server (httpd)
 2. A service wrapper (e.g. jsvc)
 3. Port forwarding (iptables)

1. HTTPD / proxy

The first isn't a bad idea, but would probably be a better choice if you
have other reasons for choosing it, e.g. PHP, load balancing.

2. JSVC

Included with the Tomcat distribution, so easy to deploy.

3. Iptables

Actually, remarkably simple to implement.  Should be properly documented
within your organisation because it might be hard to discover for less
familiar users.

There's no best practice per se, you need to understand the options and
make the most suitable choice for your organisation.