Hi Amol,

I am trying to do the exact same thing.  It works for two workers, but
fails as soon as I add one worker.

Can you please try these alternatives, and let me know if it works for you?

worker.loadbalancer.balanced_workers=tomcat1,tomcat2

worker.loadbalancer.balanced_workers=tomcat1,tomcat3

worker.loadbalancer.balanced_workers=tomcat2,tomcat3

For me, as long as I have two workers, it works.  It would be
interesting if its the same for you?

I also came across these links which I am reviewing.  It may help you.

http://thought-bytes.blogspot.com/2007/03/how-to-load-balance-tomcat-55-with.html
http://www.quadbase.com/eres/manual/6_4_Clustering.html
http://www.zulutown.com/blog/2009/02/16/java-ee-load-balancing-with-tomcat-and-apache/

Last question, do you have SSL enabled?