From: Wolfgang Orthuber [mailto:orthu...@kfo-zmk.uni-kiel.de]
Sent: Monday, October 04, 2010 8:10 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Serialization

  Hello,

my tomcat version is 5.5.17, my question concerns serialization of
objects, below is a code section for writing and reading an object. If I

call write immediately before read:
d5.write();
d5.read();

then all works fine, but if I use only read (on an formerly written
file) with the same code included in another program module, I got the
exceptions like this:
java.lang.ClassCastException: org.apache.jsp.w.w4a_jsp$1ddm2 cannot be
cast to org.apache.jsp.w.w4b_jsp$1ddm2

in which w4a.jsp and w4b.jsp are two different modules which include the

same code for read and write. The name of the program module is stored
in the serialized object, but the name of the program module does not
matter, because both modules include the same code.

Do you know a simple solution which avoids the exception?

Wolfgang

The code section with read and write:

class dm5t implements Serializable {
     public ArrayList<ddm2>    v5;

     public dm5t () {  v5 = new ArrayList<ddm2> (); }

     public String topicpath(){return
getServletContext().getRealPath("")+"/tp/";}

     public synchronized boolean write () {
         String fn=fntopics;
         boolean ok=true;
         try {
             String spath = topicpath();

             FileOutputStream    fs = new FileOutputStream (spath+fn);
             ObjectOutputStream    os = new ObjectOutputStream    (fs);
             os.writeObject (v5);
             os.close ();}
         catch (IOException e) {ok=false;} return ok;}

     public synchronized boolean    read () {
         String fn=fntopics;
         boolean ok=true;
         ArrayList<ddm2>    v5tmp=null;
         try {
             String spath = topicpath();

             FileInputStream        fs = new FileInputStream (spath+fn);
             ObjectInputStream    os = new ObjectInputStream    (fs);

             v5tmp = (ArrayList<ddm2>) os.readObject ();
             os.close ();

         } catch (IOException e) {ok=false;}
         catch (ClassNotFoundException e) {ok=false;}
         if (ok)    if (v5tmp != null) v5=v5tmp;
         return ok;}
}