It is possible to define the element as an entity in server.xml:

|<!ENTITY secure_resource SYSTEM "http://somewhere.com/resource.xml";>|

and then replace the Resource element with the entity:

&|secure_resource

Because the entity resolves to an external source, this source can be
generated dynamically, by a script for example.

This script could potentially be limited in execution to the tomcat
user/instance.

Other users who can possibly read the script that generates the the
username/password, but not execute it, cannot get the username/password.

Regards,

Simon