Thanks for pointing out that I needed tomcat-juli.jar and for the detailed
explanation of your setup; it was very helpful. By adding tomcat-juli.jar to
the instance bin directory and modifiying my startup/shutdown scripts
accordingly, I was able to get the second tomcat instance working.

I appreciate everyones help.

Best,
Ari