Hi Pid
Thanks for your suggestion. The problem is solved. It's probably caused by
wrong classpath syntax as I had this:
<value>classpath:./hibernate.cfg.xml</value>

However I still think tomcat could give a more verbose error messages.

Will

On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 1:45 AM, Pid <p...@pidster.com> wrote:

> On 04/11/2010 16:06, Will Sumekar wrote:
> > AFAIK if you dont specify contextConfigLocation system looks for default
> > filename applicationContext.xml at default location of ./WEB-INF/. But it
> > doesnt  matter cos even if I put context-param the error still comes.
> >
> > So far it looks like the error is caused by <listener>. Once I remove it,
> > it's OK. Which is really, really strange.
> >
> > You can set tomcat to use log4j by putting log4j jar in /common/lib and
> > log4j.properties in /common/classes. In case you want to try, also put
> > commons logging jar in lib dir.
>
> Make a simple test ServletContextListener impl and try to deploy with
> just that in this Tomcat, see if it works.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<web-app id="WebApp_ID" version="2.4"
    xmlns="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee";
        http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee/web-app_2_4.xsd";>
    <display-name>test-servlet-listener2</display-name>

    <listener>
        <listener-class>test.TestServletContextistener</listener-class>
    </listener>

    <welcome-file-list>
        <welcome-file>index.html</welcome-file>
        <welcome-file>index.htm</welcome-file>
        <welcome-file>index.jsp</welcome-file>
        <welcome-file>default.html</welcome-file>
        <welcome-file>default.htm</welcome-file>
        <welcome-file>default.jsp</welcome-file>
    </welcome-file-list>

</web-app>