2010/11/20 Michael Ludwig <mil...@gmx.de>:
> JAX-WS ships with Sun JDK 1.6 and seems the easiest way to code web
> services on this platform. It is really easy to get started:
>
> http://java.dzone.com/articles/jax-ws-hello-world
> http://java.dzone.com/articles/jax-ws-deployment-five-minute
>
> I have one question, though. JAX-WS is provided by JDK 1.6, so when I
> start Tomcat 6 with a 1.6 JRE why can't it use the JAX-WS from the JRE?
> Why do I have to supply a copy of JAX-WS (about 20 JARs in the ZIP you
> can download from http://jax-ws.java.net/) in WEB-INF/lib? If I don't,
> a ClassNotFoundException ensues. [1]
>
> Error configuring application listener of class
> com.sun.xml.ws.transport.http.servlet.WSServletContextListener
> java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
> com.sun.xml.ws.transport.http.servlet.WSServletContextListener

Because there is no such class in your JRE (and there is none in mine as well).

The same problem would be with
com.sun.xml.ws.transport.http.servlet.WSServlet
mentioned in the above article. There is no such class as well.

Using com.sun.* classes directly is not recommended. They are not part
of the official API and can change without notice.

Also it would be strange to provide servlets in JDK/JRE, because
javax.servlet.* is not part of JRE API.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko