With the configuration below and your explanations, I suppose that there is some kind of load-balancing going on between the two machines.
What is used at the front-end to load-balance ?

An idea (for the moment vague) would be to use some intelligent front-end, which would decide (maybe as Mark wrote, in function of the client IP address) to start chanelling one client to either machine 1 or machine 2 - and within it to Tomcat A,B,C or D - , set a cookie, and use this cookie later to keep sending the same client to the same back-end machine.
Kind of a session on top of a session..

There is also the question of why App1-4 have to be split between different
Tomcats.
Why can you not run all apps within one single JVM/Tomcat ?

Andrew Hole wrote:
There is a middleware-to-middleware connection between Tomcat A and Tomcat B
using RMI (point-to-point protocol) and Tomcat A has in-memory data useful
to App3.
The same aproach in the second server: applications in tomcat d have RMI
communication to tomcat c.

thanks