Ok ... checklist time ...

- Comments around the <role .... /> and <user ... /> elements have been
removed.  From what I could tell in your original post this is taken
care of.
- The tomcat server has been restarted since the last time
tomcat-users.xml has been edited.
- You are accessing the manager app using the path /manger/html on the
end of your tomcat urls.
- You are sure tomcat is listening on the port specified in your URLs
(if not specified, default is 80 for http, 443 for https)
- Other apps are working in this tomcat instance and you can reach them.
- Check your logs for messages during startup and the timestamp when you
accessed the manager app
- Please describe what you get instead of the expected manager app
(login dialog, 403 response, 404 response, etc., ...)

Checking back over this thread, I don't see enough detail to figure
anything out.  Please paint the picture for us.

--David