From: "Aggarwal, Ajay" <ajay.aggar...@stratus.com>
To: Tomcat Users List <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Thu, December 2, 2010 1:08:38 PM
Subject: Questions about installing APR

My OS is centos 5.5, which has APR 1.2.7 pre-installed on it.

# rpm -qa | grep apr

apr-1.2.7-11.el5_3.1

apr-util-1.2.7-11.el5

I am using Tomcat version 6.0.20 and I located tomcat-native.tar.gz
under tomcat/bin folder. I extracted the contents and now I am in
tomcat/bin/tomcat-native-1.1.16-src/jni/native directory. I have the
"configure" script here.

./configure fails

                Error: configure: error: APR could not be located.
Please use the --with-apr option.

Not sure why I get above error since I have the "apr" RPM installed
(version 1.2.7). I double check for these shared libraries under
/usr/lib and they are all there

ls /usr/lib/libapr*

/usr/lib/libapr-1.so.0  /usr/lib/libapr-1.so.0.2.7
/usr/lib/libaprutil-1.so.0  /usr/lib/libaprutil-1.so.0.2.7

I tried ./configure --with-apr=/usr/lib , but that fails too

Error: checking for APR... configure: error: the --with-apr parameter is
incorrect. It must specify an install prefix, a build directory, or an
apr-config file.

So I downloaded APR version 1.4.2 and compiled and installed it with a
different prefix=/tmp/myapr

Now ./configure --with-apr=/tmp/myapr works fine and I see following
line when I start tomcat

Loaded APR based Apache Tomcat Native library 1.1.16.

APR capabilities: IPv6 [true], sendfile [true], accept filters [false],
random [true].

But I have couple of questions:

1) Is it ok to compile JNI wrapper with APR 1.4.2, but run it with APR
1.2.7 (like I explained above)?

2) Is it ok to use ARP 1.2.7? Or is it strongly recommended to use the
latest version, i.e. APR 1.4.2?

-Ajay