On 06.12.2010 23:36, Guillaume Carbonneau wrote:
On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 2:25 PM, Konstantin Kolinko
<knst.koli...@gmail.com>  wrote:
2010/12/6 Guillaume Carbonneau<guillaume.carbonn...@gmail.com>:
Hi everyone,
My tomcat server seems to die on its own without leaving any backtrace...

The  last info I get in the logs are :
Dec 3, 2010 6:11:35 PM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol pause
INFO: Pausing Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-8077
Dec 3, 2010 6:11:36 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService stop
INFO: Stopping service Catalina
Dec 3, 2010 6:11:36 PM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol destroy
INFO: Stopping Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-8077

Running The Apache Tomcat 6.0 (6.0.29)
Linux Oracle Red hat : 2.6.18-194.el5
java version "1.6.0_21"

This has happened more than once and will occur even if there is no
traffic. restarting brings it back up but it has proven to be
unreliable...

At least, it is not a sudden death.

Tomcat can be shut down by sending a certain string to port 8005 on
localhost (see the first lines of server.xml),  ->  normal shutdown
or by sending a system signal that causes JVM to exit, or by calling
System.exit().
->  shutdown hook perform the shutdown

You can install a Listener and print a stacktrace when the stop event
happens.  The stack traces for the normal shutdown sequence and for
the shutdown hook will be different.

The Linux out-of-memory killer was already mentioned.

BTW, you are not alone: such a thread happens here every 4-6 months.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

I seem to have solved the problem at least temporarily through this solution :
I installed the latest JDK on the deployed machine and ran tomcat
through catalina.sh debug, then "run"
No crash so far so good.

When starting Tomcat interactively you should be aware that some shells kill all child processes when you log out (or get logged out automatically). There's "nohup" though.

I'm not sure what kind of signal is used then, so I can't tell whether the orderly shutdown messages in your logs contradict that theory or not.

Regards,

Rainer