2010/12/8 Jason Pyeron <jpye...@pdinc.us>:
>> > java.io.IOException: IOException writing to
>> > /usr/share/tomcat5/conf/tomcat-users.xml.new
>>
>> What you do not understand in the above message?
>> Tomcat saves the file to a new name, then renames it.
>>

> I understand the message, it says tomcat cannot write that file. What I do not
> understand is how it cannot write that file.

Try to create that file. Maybe that'd give you some additional clue.
Maybe the file is already there, or maybe Tomcat runs not under the
user that you are expecting (or that user is non a member of the
"tomcat" group).

Anyway, I certainly recommend you to set readonly="true". [1]

>> BTW, it is possible to set readonly="true" on the
>> UserDatabase entry in server.xml and Tomcat won't try to
>> write that file. (In Tomcat 6+ readonly flag is "true" by default).

[1]
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/jndi-resources-howto.html#UserDatabase_Resources

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko