Hi,

I have done alot of work with another servlet container and your consultant is
correct. More instances do make a difference. Mainly because certain resources
like ports/threads and memory management for the heap it makes sense. But you
still need to test to determine what works best.

I agree about the context funkyness. Been there done that. I went from 2 cpu to
6 cpu (AMD not Intel) and then tuned my html page size and that made a huge
difference. My own IT group was floored by the performance. My web service
response times are down in the 1.5msec range using Tomcat and APR. I used to
have around 1msec but I think the CPU management and added cpu count caused
that
to happen.

Remember to turn off services you do not need and use NUMA and any other
settings that might help like operand compression for the 64-bit jvm if you use
it.

Regards,
Tony Anecito
Founder/CEO