On 13/12/2010 10:13, Luca Gervasi wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I know that my problem is with the application my tomcat 5.5 powered by

5.5.x, where x is what?

> java 1.5.0_b4 is running.

That's a really old JVM.  Each minor release can contain improvements to
garbage collection algorithms - even new features.  If you're stuck with
1.5, you should try to get the last release.

> I have this supposely leeking application that keeps saturating the
> permanent generation.
>
> The problem is an out of memory on the permgen.

It could just be that your application needs more space allocated in
permgen.  How much memory are you assigning to the JVM, what values are
you setting for garbage collection etc?

> Studying the JVM, i understand that the permgen is never sweeped by GC.
>
> My question is: i found the flags combo that enables permgen sweeping.
> Is that a good thing to enable? I can't fix the application right now.

It's not necessarily going to make a difference.

Do you reload your application or is it not being actively developed?