Thanks for that clarification.

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Thomas [mailto:ma...@apache.org]
Sent: Tuesday, 14 December 2010 11:23 p.m.
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: jndi-lookup fails, cured by tomcat restart

On 13/12/2010 22:52, Dale Ogilvie wrote:

> propsFileName is the name of the bean, which should be initialized
> with the string value from the JNDI entry "propertiesFileName" defined

> in $CATALINA_HOME/conf/context.xml
>
> This was working, stopped working until a tomcat restart, and is
> working again now. My concern is that this may be a bug in tomcat
>
> So what happens is that tomcat startup creates a JNDI environment
> entry in the "cross-application" context called "propertiesFileName".

Just to be clear, there is no global or cross-application context.
Entries in CATALINA_BASE/conf/context.xml are merged with the
application's context.xml and become part of the application's context
configuration. This means that if you define a resource in
CATALINA_BASE/conf/context.xml and you have 20 contexts you will get 20
instances of that resource - one for each context.

Mark