On 14/12/2010 22:54, Gary Lawrence Murphy wrote:
On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 4:35 PM, Christopher Schultz<
ch...@christopherschultz.net>  wrote:

however when called with http://localhost:8080/test.jsp/this it fails as
404 not found

Actually, this makes sense to me: the default mapping for the JSP
servlet is "*.jsp". Your path doesn't end in .jsp, and therefore does
not match the url-pattern.

this is the crux of the problem, and the showstopper preventing us from
deploying under Tomcat -- all our applications use this convention and, as I
said, it works in other servlet containers.

I tried using *.jsp/* and this threw a parsing error,
Hmm. Odd. I'll look into that. It won't work they way you want but I'd like to get to the bottom of the parsing error.

the webapp refused to run load.  *.jsp* ignored all jsp files.
The * characters are probably being treated literally.

 I think other servlet containers
are using a globbing that is assumed to be the complete expression, which in
regex would be .*\.jsp, whereas it appears that tomcat is taking it in what
a regex would phrase as .*\.jsp$, ie it is enforcing the end of the string
as the end of the candidate string.  If this behaviour cannot be changed, I
have to change servlet containers, so I'm eager to find out one way or the
other if tomcat can accommodate this.

Tomcat is following the mapping rules in the Servlet spec. It looks like Resin has some proprietary extensions to the mapping rules. I'd be surprised if you found other containers supporting them.

Mark