Hi Gary

this copied text comes straight from the Doc:

"Java Platform Standard Ed. 7 DRAFT ea-b121

java.net.Class URI

java.lang.Object  extended by java.net.URI

All Implemented Interfaces:
    Serializable, Comparable<URI>

public final class URI extends Object implements Comparable<URI>, Serializable

Represents a Uniform Resource Identifier (URI) reference.

Aside from some minor deviations noted below, an instance of this class
represents a URI reference as defined by
RFC 2396: Uniform Resource Identifiers (URI): Generic Syntax, amended by
RFC 2732: Format for Literal IPv6 Addresses in URLs. The Literal IPv6 address
format also supports scope_ids. The syntax and usage of scope_ids is described
here. This class provides constructors for creating URI instances from their
components or by parsing their string forms, methods for accessing the various
components of an instance, and methods for normalizing, resolving, and
relativizing URI instances. Instances of this class are immutable.
URI syntax and components
At the highest level a URI reference (hereinafter simply "URI") in string form
has the syntax

    [scheme:]scheme-specific-part[#fragment]

where square brackets [...] delineate optional components and the characters :
and # stand for themselves.

An absolute URI specifies a scheme;
a URI that is NOT absolute is said to be relative.
URIs are also classified according to whether they are OPAQUE or HIERARCHICAL

An OPAQUE URI is an absolute URI whose scheme-specific part does NOT begin with
a slash character ('/').
Opaque URIs are not subject to further parsing. Some examples of opaque URIs
are:

    mailto:java-...@java.sun.com
    urn:isbn:096139210x

A HIERARCHICAL URI is either an
  ABSOLUTE URI (whose scheme-specific part begins with a slash character),
  or a RELATIVE URI, that is, a URI that does not specify a scheme.

Some examples of hierarchical URIs are:

    http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/
    docs/guide/collections/designfaq.html#28
    ../../../demo/jfc/SwingSet2/src/SwingSet2.java
    file:///~/calendar

A hierarchical URI is subject to further parsing according to the syntax

    [scheme:][//authority][path][?query][#fragment]

here the characters :, /, ?, and # stand for themselves. The scheme-specific
part of a hierarchical URI consists of the characters between the scheme and
fragment components."

<snip>

"See Also:
    RFC 2279: UTF-8, a transformation format of ISO 10646,
    RFC 2373: IPv6 Addressing Architecture,
    RFC 2396: Uniform Resource Identifiers (URI): Generic Syntax,
    RFC 2732: Format for Literal IPv6 Addresses in URLs,
    URISyntaxException, Serialized Form"

<snip>
"Copyright © 1993, 2010, Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.
DRAFT ea-b121 "

my question is:
are you seeing implementations (in TC) of a Hierarchical URI which is NOT
Absolute URI
or Relative URI

?
Martin Gainty

Diese Nachricht ist vertraulich. Sollten Sie nicht der vorgesehene Empfaenger
sein, so bitten wir hoeflich um eine Mitteilung. Jede unbefugte Weiterleitung
oder Fertigung einer Kopie ist unzulaessig. Diese Nachricht dient lediglich dem
Austausch von Informationen und entfaltet keine rechtliche Bindungswirkung.
Aufgrund der leichten Manipulierbarkeit von E-Mails koennen wir keine Haftung
fuer den Inhalt uebernehmen.
Ce message est confidentiel et peut être privilégié. Si vous n'êtes pas le
destinataire prévu, nous te demandons avec bonté que pour satisfaire informez
l'expéditeur. N'importe quelle diffusion non autorisée ou la copie de ceci est
interdite. Ce message sert à l'information seulement et n'aura pas n'importe
quel effet légalement obligatoire. Étant donné que les email peuvent facilement
être sujets à la manipulation, nous ne pouvons accepter aucune responsabilité
pour le contenu fourni.