Sorry for the late reply. But it might help someone having similar issue.

There was a firewall between two systems (distinct from CentOS iptables), which
dropped (idle) connections after some time. Not sure about exact firewall
config here. The Apache web server would throw an 500/503 error when it tried
to reuse an open connection which firewall had already closed.  The issue was
resolved by using disablereuse parameter in ProxyPass directive.
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_proxy.html#proxypass

Thanks for the suggestions.

--
Shantanu Pavgi.