EXCELLENT!  Almost there now!  Just one more thing.  I have it serving to
http://proj-name and it is coming up with the tomcat default page.  I have
to be missing something.

I have:

<Engine name="Catalina" defaultHost="proj-name"/>

and a <Host> defined as:

<Host name="proj-name" appBase="webapps"
          unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true"
<Alias>proj-name</Alias>
</Host>

should the appBase be defined as: /webapps/proj-name folder?

- Thank you all for partially jump starting my brain.