> From: Jeffrey Janner [mailto:jeffrey.jan...@polydyne.com]
> Subject: RE: [OT] Setting HTTP response headers caching for 1 year doesn't
> work

> My hardware internals knowledge is just as rusty as my coding
> skills, but doesn't the hardware catch the overflow and raise
> the exception anyway?

No, most hardware (e.g., all flavors of x86) just sets a flag indicating that
an overflow has occurred; it's up to the executing program to check the flag.
Some CPUs have the capability of optionally generating an interrupt if the
condition occurs, but again, that's under program control.  And, of course, the
mechanisms for integer and floating point operations are usually completely
independent (partly because the Intel floating point was originally on a
co-processor).

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.