Figured as much

> > I am looking for a possible workaround to create shared connection
> pools without modifying server.xml (ie placing entries in
> <GlobalNamingResources .../>).
>
> JMX is probably your best bet but I don't think the necessary API is
> exposed. As always, patches welcome.

Good idea - looking at the mbeans in jconsole I see operations for adding a
resource to the global naming resources, but don't see a way to specify all the
attributes you need. Or maybe it's just non-obvious.

> > If a web application could populate into the global namespace, then I
> could devise a WAR which defined the desired connection pools and
> placed them in the global namespace.  Other web applications could then
> retrieve them as if they had been defined in server.xml.
>
> Apart from the fact that web application start order is undefined...
>
> Lots of things to go wrong here. If two apps define the same resource,
> which wins?
>
> I'm fine with the JMX bit but much less comfortable with apps using it
> directly.

Your concerns absolutely make sense and are a good reason not to allow this
behavior.

--Jason