Tomcat 5.5 or 6.0
Win XP or Vista (32)

I've read the configuration
(http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/config/valve.html) and the api
(http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/catalina/docs/api/org/apache/catalina/valves/AccessLogValve.html)
 but there are some details that are not specified:

timestamp (%t in pattern)
In apache documentation it is stated that this is the time that the request was
received. I'd like some simple confirmation that this also holds true for the
tomcat (and is not, for example, the time that the response was sent).

bytes sent (either %b or %B in pattern)
Is this the number of bytes actually sent to the client, or simply the size in
bytes of the HTTP response (which will differ, for instance, if the connection
is aborted)? The apache httpd 2.0 provides the %O format as well to distinguish
between these two cases, whereas in 1.3 it didn't. Since tomcat does not
provide such an option, my guess is towards the number of bytes actually sent
to the client, but I'd like some simple confirmation on this.

time taken (either %D or %T in pattern)
Is the network transmission time included in the processing time? To be more
precise, is this the time the server used to process, prepare the HTTP response
and deliver it to the underlying layer for transmission (i.e. non-blocking
threads on tcp send)? Or does it also include the underlying layer sending time
(e.g. blocking threads on tcp send)? Apache's documentation is also obscure on
that point...

We're going to use tomcat on a faster than real time web server simulation
experiment, and I need the above details to correctly build a satisfactory
initial model for the web server.

Thank you,

Antonios Kogias