I think I am going to use stunnel in xinetd.

> >> 2. Encrypted VPN (OpenVPN is quite good and will auto-reconnect if
> >>    necessary while ssh generally won't).
> >>
> >> 3. Switch to mod_proxy_http and use an https:// URL with Mark's
> >>    indicated settings.

I am glad to have this cleared up.

> >> These options are roughly in order of performance from
> best to worst:
> >> setting up an HTTPS connection is expensive and I'm not
> entirely sure
> >> how mod_proxy_http does connections, but I suspect it creates and
> >> tears-down for each request (i.e. no keepalives, or at
> least limited ones).
> >>
> >> Encrypted VPNs are simply more complicated than an SSH tunnel and
> >> require slightly more overhead. An SSH tunnel is dead
> simple and only
> >> negotiates a symmetric key once at connect time (okay, and then
> >> re-negotiates at intervals) but lacks the robustness of a VPN.
> >
> > I disagree with that assessment. mod_proxy_http is by far
> the simplest
> > way to go and it does use keep-alive.
>
> Good to know that mod_proxy_http uses keepalive. I was
> recommending the others since the OP seems wedded to AJP.
> Also, if there is any other traffic to encrypt (JDBC, etc.)
> the VPN would handle that, too.

It is not that I am wedded to any particular implementation, it is just each
change requires board approval.

A change for reconfiguring the enabled modules in apache. [we can skip this if
we stay with mod_proxy_ajp, as it was already approved]
A change for opening up a port on the apache box

- Jason Pyeron                      PD Inc. http://www.pdinc.us -
- Principal Consultant              10 West 24th Street #100    -
- +1 (443) 269-1555 x333            Baltimore, Maryland 21218   -