From: Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
To: Tomcat Users List <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Sat, February 12, 2011 11:45:29 AM
Subject: Re: Performance Tuning Tomcat 7...

On 12/02/2011 18:27, Tony Anecito wrote:
> Right now for most of my transactions I get less than 5 microseconds and
> around
>
> 1.2msec is spent on getting to and out of Tomcat and out of to/out of the
>client
>
> call.
>
> So people were saying look at better parsers or replacing whatever does the
> parsing.
>
> I am measuring round trip time at the client (before and after the jersey
> call)
>
> and getting to 1.47msec. At Tomcat it is less than 5microseconds at the
> beginning of the method the GET goes to the end of the method so the code is
> very fast.
>
> So I am thinking whatever parses the cmd and puts together the html response
> after the end of the method is where I should focus.

Testing Tomcat on localhost with a simple servlet using my 3 year old
laptop I can process around 20,000 requests a second on a single
connection which is around 50 microseconds per request. That includes
server and client processing.

Looking at all these numbers suggests that there is a lot of additional
overhead somewhere in your system. Based on past experience, guessing
where that overhead might be is a waste of time. You need to use a
profiler to track it down. I usually use Yourkit since they give free
copies to the Tomcat committers for use with Tomcat development. Other
profilers are available. Pick the one that works best for you.

Mark