On Feb 24, 2011, at 10:58 AM, David kerber wrote:

> On 2/24/2011 10:49 AM, János Löbb wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> What is the very basic structure of a web application that is connected to a
>> database through a connection pool, but would not require to restart itself
>> or restart Tomcat when the database goes down - let say for maintenance ?
>>
>> Telling otherwise how to write a webapp that would survive a database
>> recycling and would not require human interactions to make it work again.
>
> I've never had trouble having my app reconnect after restarting the database;
> the tomcat db connection classes handle that transparently, AFAIK.

Well, I have here programmers who are writing web applications and those are
stuck if I recycle the database.  Therefore I have to do a 1 hour
hokusz-pokusz, shutting down Tomcat, etc... all over the place, before I can
recycle the database.   So I just would like to know what would be the
structure or skeleton of the simplest java web app that would not die if the
database is pulled underneath and would reconnect like charm after the database
is back again.

When I mention them that their programs should handle the situation resulting
from the database bounce automagically and not the dba handling the web app or
Tomcat shutdowns and restarts, they look at me like I came from Mars or Saturn
:-)

So, I just want to know how it is done in the "real world" :-)

Thanks ahead,

János