Hi Hila,

I have a similar requirement in my current project. End users (using
browsers and java desktop apps) which work on windows workstations
which are in a domain, must be able to log in the application without
needing to type in username and password (using their windows
credentials). Additionaly, the connection to the underlying database
must also be done using those user credentials.

My steps while implementing this were:
1. Implement authentication (browser->server, desktop app -> server)
which uses kerberos
2. Enable credential delegation so your app server can impersonate
client when connecting to the database
3. Connect to the database as the client from within app server
code/process (this is database-specific)

This is how I solved it:
I use SPNEGO for browser/webapp scenario authentication. These
materials helped me come up with a working server side SPNEGO
implementation:

This is what I ended up using for reading a SPNEGO token:
http://blog.springsource.com/2009/09/28/spring-security-kerberos/

Some general information about kerberos from msdn:

Very nice articles about credentials delegation (you need that so your
app server can impersonate clients when it connects to the database)
http://s2.diffuse.it/blog/show/6602-SPNEGO_authentication_and_credential_delegation_with_Java
http://spnego.sourceforge.net/credential_delegation.html

I also had some java desktop apps which needed to authenticate in a
similar way, which use Spring HttpInvoker as a remoting protocol, so I
decided to make HttpInvoker pass some SPNEGO headers as well, and it
seems to work:
https://jira.springsource.org/browse/SES-11

We use Oracle as the database and some materials that were helpfull were these:
Oracle Jdbc connection with kerberos
http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E11882_01/java.112/e10589/clntsec.htm#insertedID7
http://download.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/api/javax/security/auth/Subject.html

Some general info on Oracle Advanced Security
http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B14099_19/idmanage.1012/b14085/odip_actdir001.htm#CHDDFFGG

If you also use Oracle I can send you a complete code example for this
- I have the whole thing working for simple tests..I should have a
more complete implementation in few weeks.

Cheers.

Why?
Because YES!