Felix Schumacher wrote:

The creation or retrieval of a session, as far as I understand it, is
totally under application control.
In other words, if your servlet (or JSP), when it is called, executes
a HttpServletRequest.getSession() call, then it will retrieve the
existing session (or create one if none exists yet); and if it does
not call getSession(), it will not.

If the browser sends a session-id, tomcat will touch the session and mark it as alive.

My response above was made on the base of the Servlet Specification and the Javadoc of HttpRequest.getSession(). I am not versed enough in the specifics of the Tomcat code to contradict what you say above. But I remain unconvinced. It sounds illogical that the container would go look for the session, before it is explicitly asked to do so.

So we need a real Tomcat expert here.