I’m working on designing a new production environment for our software, and
I’m curious about the best approach to take.

One of the plans we are testing out is to use IIS7 on Windows Server 2008 R2
with Tomcat 6.0.32 (with APR / tcnative enabled). However, we are a bit
confused as to the best approach to take.

On the one hand, we could use the Apache JK Connector to direct requests to
Tomcat. On the other hand, since we’re using IIS7, we could use (and have
seen recommended) the Application Request Routing (ARR) library for IIS to
direct requests for Tomcat.

I was hoping members of the list would chime in and tell us what you think
the pros and cons are of each solution, and/or why you’d pick one over the
other.

If I understand it correctly, AJP connections can be kept alive between JK
and Tomcat, resulting in significant performance gains, but that is not the
case with ARR (over HTTP), right? Making that an advantage of JK over ARR?

Also, the Apache Portable Runtime is only useful over HTTP and not AJP,
right? Making that an advantage of ARR over JK?

Please correct any misunderstandings on my part.

Thanks in advance!

Nick

Sent from my iPhone