Hi Chuk,

from another posts here, it was written that when the webapp is autodeployed
Tomcat automatically deletes it's context file (it's a feature), but I see it
as the bug,
not a feature. You are right that I should give more information, so here they
are.

the host defined in the server.xml:

<Host name="my.domain.com" appBase="vhosts/my.domain.com" unpackWARs="true"
autoDeploy="true">
  <Alias>my.domain.com</Alias>
</Host>

context file on this path:

/opt/tomcat/conf/Catalina/my.domain.com/ROOT.xml

containing just this:

<Context reloadable="true">
  <Parameter name="serverRole" value="dev" override="true"/>
</Context>

and webapp as ROOT.war residing in :

/opt/tomcat/vhosts/my.domain.com/

Java 1.6
Linux version 2.6.32-bpo.5-amd64 (Debian 2.6.32-30~bpo50+1)

Thank you,

Joe