On 31/03/2011 12:12, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Mar 2011, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> As of now I am using tomcat apache 5.5.27 with java version
>> "1.6.0_24" on Ubuntu Server 10.04. I happened to visit the url ->
>> http://tomcat.apache.org/whichversion.html Bit confused. Not sure
>> which version i need to go for my production purpose to avail latest
>> features and performance improvement.

Latest features -> Tomcat 7
Best performance -> Latest JDK

There are a few performance tweaks in Tomcat 7 but nothing as
significant as you'll get from using Java 6 rather than Java 5 (as you
already are).

>   as a totally new user to tomcat, i'm running ubuntu 10.10 and i just
> downloaded the tomcat 7.0.11 tarball and dumped it into a personal
> directory.  seems to start and run fine, although i have no existing
> webapps that force me to worry about backward compatibility.

The specifications are backwards compatible. If a specification
compliant application runs on Tomcat 3 it should run on Tomcat 7. If it
doesn't, that would be a bug.

The catch is "specification compliant". Tomcat has become stricter in
enforcing the requirements of the specification (usually because of edge
case bugs if it doesn't) which does mean that an application that runs
on an older Tomcat version may require some fixes and/or Tomcat
configuration to disable checks on the latest release.

Mark