In looking into this further, it appears that the difference isn't in HTTP vs
AJP, the difference is in async vs synchronous.

The AJP traffic was carrying requests that were being processed asynchronously
in Tomcat. If I switch to using the HTTP connector for this same traffic I
still don't see anything in the access log. Other requests that are being
processed synchronously are showing up in the access logs.

I'm starting to step through the Tomcat code now, but any thoughts on this
would be appreciated.

- Chris