2011/4/8 David Kerber <dcker...@verizon.net>:
> On 4/7/2011 5:57 PM, Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
>>
>> 2011/4/8 David kerber<dcker...@verizon.net>:
>>>
>>> To close this loop, I got it fixed.  The issue was a (apparently very
>>> slightly) corrupt jodbc.jar file.  I say very slightly because I could
>>> open
>>> it with windows explorer's .zip handling functionality and everything
>>> looked
>>> fine, but tomcat choked on it when trying to open it with java.util.zip.
>>>  Tomcat was throwing exceptions at startup, but they were quite a bit
>>> further up in the log from the one I posted here, and I didn't see them
>>> for
>>> the longest time.
>>
>> Congratulations.
>>
>> Were the messages clear enough, or maybe something may need improving
>> there?
>
> The error message was fine, once I actually saw it.  It was just quite a
> ways up the log file from the final exception that I originally posted.
>  Once I saw the startup error, it's obvious that the CNFE was just a
> cascading error from the root problem.
>
> The only thing I question is whether java.util.zip might be too picky, and
> failing to open .jar files that could have actually been usable.  Windows
> had no trouble unzipping the .jar.  That's obviously an Oracle issue,
> though, and not a Tomcat one.

If a jar is truncated I wouldn't call it useful, and it is better to fail early.

IIRC,in zip format there is header for each zipped entry, plus a
master index at the end.
Reading the archive sequentially vs. accessing a random file will be
implemented differently.  And it looks as if Windows integrated
support of zip files is loose in error handling. (A thing to beware if
anyone will encounter the same issue as you did).

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko