Chris,

I was thinking about this section in the FM 10.9.2:

<nyissz>
Error-page declarations using the exception-type element in the deployment
descriptor must be unique up to the class name of the exception-type.
Similarly, error-page declarations using the status-code element must be unique
in the deployment descriptor up to the status code.
<nyassz>

Plus the the two paragraphs before it.  So if you are not finding anything
useful in the deployment descriptor, then you can add your own to it and create
a class that is matching the added exception-type.  There are probably many
already ready made java classes in the open that you can just incorporate to
emit the xml.

János