You're using 1.6.0_24 if I remember correctly? Oracle changed the location for
heap dumps and performance information in 1.6.0_22 to use java.io.tmpdir rather
than hard-coded locations. This means that files such as heap dumps and
hsperfdata information ends up in $CATALINA_HOME/temp unless you've set
CATALINA_TMPDIR.

I don't know if hs_err_pid is impacted as well. Have you checked for this
information in $CATALINA_TMPDIR?

This looks like it's been reverted to the hard-coded locations for JDK/JRE 7
(although I've not run the pre-release yet).

. . . just my two cents.

/mde/