Thanks Christopher Schultz and Crypto Sal for your replies!

The key hint was the certificate chain length. My problem seemed to be that I
got the server certificate as PKS12 file (including the private key). I
imported it using "-importkeystore -srcstoretype PKCS12". "-trustcacerts"
doesnt seem to have any effects with "-importkeystore". Since the PKS12 file
containd only the server certificate, it was imported with certificate chain
length 1.

So here is what worked for me:

I converted the root and intermediate certificates to human readable form by
importing them into a keystore and then exporting them again using "-export
-rfc".

I imported my server certificate into a new keystore and adapted alias and
passwords for use with my Tomcat configuration

I exported the server certificate again using "-export -rfc"

I opened the newly created export file of my server certificate and inserted
the contents of the intermediate and the root certificates at the bottom of the
file. This created a valid certificate chain in PKCS7 format.

I imported the altered certificate file into the same keystore using the same
alias. This replaced the single certificate with the complete certificate chain
(private key remained unaltered).

Now I have a valid keystore with my server certificate and the intermediate and
root certificates and the certificate chain length is 3. Tomcat deliveres the
chain correctly and I finally got rid of the annoying security warnings in
Firefox.

Thanks for your help!