Dear Sirs,

Thank you for your replying. I would like to explain my questions in detail.

-----------------------
Eclipse 3.6(Helios)
Tomcat 7.0.14
Servlet 3.0
Windows XP SP3 x86 version
------------------------

What is the result? Is this webapp deployed into the /test context path?
A browser showed the error message of HTTP status 404, which indicated that the requested resource(/test/hello) is not available.

On "Package Explorer" of Eclipse, the file system is showed as follows:
--------------------
test
+--- WEB-INF/src
|     +--- servlets
|           +--- HelloServlet.java
+--- sample.txt
--------------------
Yes. This webapp is devployes into the /test context path because I confirmed the following two points. First, I checked that \apache-tomcat-7.0.14\conf\Catalina\localhost\test.xml is existed and that "<Context path="/test"........../>" is described in test.xml. Second, I tested that /test context path is workable with calling "http://localhost:8080/test/sample.txt"; on a browser. It is OK.

A different file name, or a different "name" attribute chosen in the
@WebServlet annotation? The former makes no sense, while the latter
makes perfect sense.
On "Package Explorer" of Eclipse, the file system is showed as follows:
--------------------
ex3
+--- WEB-INF/src
|     +--- input
|     |     +--- GuessServlet.java
|     +--- input2
|           +--- GuessServlet.java
+--- input
|     +--- guess.jsp
+--- input2
      +--- guess.jsp
--------------------
"GuessServlet.java" of input2 package and "guess.jsp" of input2 package revise specification of each input package. In this case, "@WebServlet" annotation was not available under the different "urlPatterns".
------------
package:input
file name:GuessServlet.java

@WebServlet(name="GuessServlet", urlPatterns={"/guess"})
public class GuessServlet extends HttpServlet {
------------
package:input2
file name:GuessServlet.java

@WebServlet(name="GuessServlet", urlPatterns={"/guess2"})
public class GuessServlet extends HttpServlet {
------------
In JSP, url pattern is as follows:
------------
folder:input
file name:guess.jsp

<FORM ACTION="../guess">
------------
folder:input2
file name:guess.jsp

<FORM ACTION="../guess2">
------------
As a resutlt,a browser showed the error message of HTTP status 404.

Then, a file name was changed.On "Package Explorer" of Eclipse, the file system is showed as follows:
--------------------
ex3
+--- WEB-INF/src
|     +--- input
|           +--- GuessServlet.java
|           +--- GuessServlet2.java
+--- input
      +--- guess.jsp
      +--- guess2.jsp
--------------------
In this case, "@WebServlet" annotation was available under the different "name and "urlPatterns" as follows:
------------
package:input
file name:GuessServlet.java

@WebServlet(name="GuessServlet", urlPatterns={"/guess"})
public class GuessServlet extends HttpServlet {
------------
package:input
file name:GuessServlet2.java

@WebServlet(name="GuessServlet2", urlPatterns={"/guess2"})
public class GuessServlet2 extends HttpServlet {
------------
In JSP, url pattern is as follows:
------------
folder:input
file name:guess.jsp

<FORM ACTION="../guess">
------------
folder:input
file name:guess2.jsp

<FORM ACTION="../guess2">
------------

Can you explain this in more detail? I do not understand.
On "Package Explorer" of Eclipse, the file system is showed as follows:
--------------------
basic
+--- WEB-INF/src
|     +--- reqattr
|           +--- GuessServlet.java
+--- reqattr
      +--- guess_hit.jsp
      +--- guess.jsp
--------------------
In this case, "@WebServlet" annotation is as follows:
------------
package:reqattr
file name:GuessServlet.java

@WebServlet(name="GuessServlet", urlPatterns={"/guess"})
public class GuessServlet extends HttpServlet {
------------
In JSP, url pattern is as follows:
------------
folder:reqattr
file name:guess.jsp

<FORM ACTION="../guess">
------------
I would like to explain a flow of three programs above Eclipse file system.
First, A browser calls "http://localhost:8080/basic/reqattr/guess.jsp";.
Second, "guess.jsp" calls "/reqattr/GuessServlet.java" by inputing a charactor. In this servlet program, depending on a answer, a return path is branched into two paths. Third, two path are brabched depending on a answer. One is "/reqattr/guess.jsp". Another is "/reqattr/guess_hit.jsp". The branch control is done by "RequestDispatcher dispatcher = request.getRequestDispatcher(path);".
Forth, "GuessServlet.java" can return to "guess.jsp" or "guess_hit.jsp".
Fifth, "guess.jsp" can call "/reqattr/GuessServlet.java" by inputing a charactor, again. Sixth, Here, a browser showed the error message of HTTP status 404, which indicated that the requested resource(/guess) is not available.

A program of file upload with "@WebServlet" and "@MultipartConfig" is successfully workable in my environment. So far, I would like to ask you a technique to follow the specification of Servlet 3.0. Or is Tomcat 7.0.14 under the implementation of the specification on Servlet 3.0?

Best Wishes,
Noriko Etani
Kobe Institute of Computing, Japan
Email:et...@kic.ac.jp/kero...@kcn.ne.jp