2011/6/6 Adib <amsl...@gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> I have noticed that tomcat7 by default has two log files one called
> localhost.DATE.log and one called localhost_acces_log.DATE.txt it is
> pretty clear to me what the access log file is but what is the purpose
> of the localhost.DATE.log is to print out log messages from all apps
> deployed to the local host and how is the file different than the
> catalina.DATE.log file?
>
> Any clarification would be really appreciated.

"localhost.DATE.log" catches the log messages that are printed to the
"org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[Catalina].[localhost]"
logging category and below. E.g. by calling
javax.servlet.ServletContext.log(...) API or by Apache Tomcat classes.

"catalina.DATE.log" is the default log file (as configured by the
".handlers" property) and catches everything else.

For the rest - see the docs. There is a chapter named "Logging".

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko