This is my 4th day trying to setup virtual hosting on Linux-Debian;
even trying Tomcat6 after failing on Tomcat7.

Yes I have read everything that I can find in Tomcat documentation -
including the obtuse:
   http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/virtual-hosting-howto.html
what I found on this forum for March:
   http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/tomcat-users/
as well as all as many, many well intended explanations located on the
Web.  Please acknowledge my stupidity, but help anyway.

This is long indeed.  On purpose.  I believe we need a detailed
description how to do it correct.  Note, I do NOT use WAR-file
deployment.  [It is not clear to me whether that is relevant ...]

I test using a windows XP box which allows to create a bogus domain in
the file:
   C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
It has the line:
   206.41.127.116  www.testzzz.com

Using a browser (on that box) to access that bogus domain
www.testzzz.com "works" but gives an unexpected response:
   Index of /
   [ICO]    Name    Last modified    Size    Description
   Apache/2.2.9 (Debian) Server at www.testzzz.com Port 80
The site, apparently, was able to get to the right place, but ...
I expected to access an index.html file under a ROOT directory, see
below.

Here the testzzz directory structure:
   /home/ddc/test
   /home/ddc/test/ROOT
   /home/ddc/test/host-manager
   /home/ddc/test/manager
   /home/ddc/test/ROOT/index.html
   /home/ddc/test/ROOT/WEB-INF
   /home/ddc/test/ROOT/WEB-INF/web.xml

No, there are no errors in catalina.out.

That log does have a line showing that ROOT.xml is activated:
   INFO: Deploying configuration descriptor ROOT.xml

I do NOT see deployment of www.testzzz.com.

Under webapps/ I see auto generated directories for:
   ROOT, docs, examples, host-manager, manager

In logs, I see empty logs for:
   manager
   host-manager
   localhost
   testzzz access log
I expected that the testzzz log would grow.

Here is what I have in server.xml (pruned):
   <Engine name="Catalina" defaultHost="www.testzzz.com">
     <Host name="www.testzzz.com"  appBase="/home/ddc/test"
           unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true"
     </Host>

Under .../Catalina:
   www.testzzz.com
   www.testzzz.com/ROOT.xml
   www.testzzz.com/manager.xml
   www.testzzz.com/host-manager.xml

Inside ROOT.xml:
   <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
   <Context path="" reloadable="false" crossContext="false">
   </Context>

Now what?
And what would be the layout for a 2nd virtual host?

THANKS ...

Home page:                          rs6.risingnet.net/~ddcc

Health Info Anytime for Everyone:   www.HealthCheck4Me.info

Exercise for the Mind:              www.SuDoKuChallenge.us

Marketing site:                     www.OntoOO.com