The equivalent basic scheme worked perfectly fine in tomcat6. In
Tomcat7, it looks like:

            solrContext = tomcat.addWebapp("/solr",
solrWebapp.getCanonicalPath());
            WebappLoader solrLoader = new
WebappLoader(LSHDemoLauncher.class.getClassLoader());
            solrContext.setLoader(solrLoader);

I am pulling my hair out because some classes sitting in the
WEB-INF/lib dir of the solr webapp are not found. I've debugged into
the class loader sufficiently to see that the right jars are in the
right place.

It occurs to me that this might be just as silly as that I need to get
the class loader set inside of addWebapp so that it is in place before
the call to host.addChild(). If anyone happens to have any advice, I'd
be grateful, else I'll be going ahead to perform experiments.