> From: Jess Holle [mailto:je...@ptc.com]
> Subject: Re: Slower start with Tomcat 7.0.14 and higher

> Since delegation is downwards

Only for the webapp classloader.

> the only issue that should possibly occur is if a class gets
> loaded in the parent classloader that then needs a class in
> the child (e.g. web app) classloader.  That will fail, of
> course, but that's ok as this should never occur.

I think it can happen, without detection, if you have the same class directly
visible to multiple classloaders - which I recall that you do (but perhaps I
misunderstood this statement: "the base classloader includes a lot more than
CATALINA_BASE/lib.  Some of these jars are huge -- and the intent (and effect)
is that these are shared by
any/all web app instances.").

So before pursuing this any further, is the same class visible to more than one
classloader in your environment?  If not, then there should be no problem,
regardless of internal classloader logic.

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.