> From: Jesse Farinacci [mailto:jie...@gmail.com]
> Subject: Dreaded No Java compiler available

> I am launching an embedded Apache Tomcat 7.0.14

JDK version?  Platform?  (Probably not relevant in this case, but it helps to
know the full environment.)

> I have set JAVA_HOME to a location which does have bin/javac and
> lib/tools.jar, and otherwise does appear to be a fully working JDK.

The default Tomcat JSP mechanism hasn't used the Java compiler from the JDK for
several years now.

> Throwable occurred: org.apache.jasper.JasperException:
> java.lang.IllegalStateException: No Java compiler available

Tomcat 7 JSP handling normally uses the Eclipse JDT compiler from
lib/ecj-3.6.2.jar; is that jar accessible to the Tomcat classloader in your
embedded environment?

Are you trying to run this from an IDE?  What happens if you execute the
application directly?  (IDEs often obfuscate the situation by choosing to use
their own configuration settings.)

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.