On 7/12/2011 4:11 AM, Pid wrote:
On 12/07/2011 02:06, Terence M. Bandoian wrote:
  Hi-

I've been testing a web application on:

Tomcat 6.0.32 (32-bit)
Sun/Oracle JRE 1.6.0_25 (32-bit)
Windows Server 2008 R2

The web application includes a ServletContextListener which creates a
Timer in the contextInitialized method to perform periodic maintenance.
To no avail, I spent quite a bit of time trying to eliminate the "The
web application appears to have started a thread..." error message from
the logs including logging the cancellation of the timer in the
contextDestroyed method of the ServletContextListener.  Finally, in
contextDestroyed, I inserted a call to Thread.sleep after canceling the
timer and the error message disappeared.

Is there some other way to eliminate this message that I've missed?

I believe contextDestroyed is the correct location, but I use timer.cancel() to shutdown the timer, rather than touching the thread itself, and it seems to work fine.