The fact that the last character is chewed up somehow made me go back to an initial theory that something is intercepting the shutdown command before Tomcat receives it. So I went back to Avast resident shields. I turned off the Avast shields once again. It seems to improve shutting down Tomcat a bit, Tomcat responds on the 1st, 2nd, 3rd+ shutdown command instead of 14+. But it's just not consistent, Tomcat almost never responds on the 1st shutdown. That's why I first concluded that Avast wasn't the problem. Add the fact that the windows XP PC where Tomcat shuts down fine also runs Avast.

As a last resort, I decided to completely uninstall Avast. Guess what, Tomcat now shuts down properly on the 1st try!

Must be something with Avast and Windows 7 or corrupted installation. Maybe it's something else but I started and shut down Tomcat about 10 times so far from command prompt and Eclipse and everything is OK.

Time to get a new AV, gonna try with AVG free I guess.

Thanks to all who took the time to read and help me with this!

Fred.

*Frederick Ouimet*
*/foui...@gmail.com/*

On 2011-07-20 12:12 AM, Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
2011/7/19 Frederick Ouimet<foui...@gmail.com>:
- Tried using JDK1.5.0_22 instead of JDK1.6.0_25 to no avail.
1. Is your system 32-bit or 64-bit?  Do you use 64-bit JDK or 32-bit JDK?

2. What is language and default character set in your system?

3. I wonder what will happen if you edit shutdown command value in
your system.xml. Does it trim last character, any characters after 7th
one, or character 'N'  specifically?

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko