----- Original Message -----

Unfortunately it's a third party application we're running.  However as a gut
feeling I'd expect a straightforward bug like that to be easier to reproduce;
we've spent a day chucking between 100 and 1200 concurrent clients at it and we
only see the problem very occasionally.  Oddly once it has happened it keeps
happening for a period - and then stops.

I think we need to think harder about how to diagnose it - at the moment we
can't pin it to a specific layer, it could be the application (most likely),
Tomcat, mod_proxy or Apache HTTPD (we're running 2.2.3). I only asked here as
the bug sounded so like what we were seeing.